Education in Virtual Worlds
“Second Life is a 3D online digital world imagined, created and owned by its residents.”
The platform is developed by Linden Lab. Residents engage in a range of activities including socialising, attending musical events, playing games & sports, dancing, shopping, running businesses, building structures, scripting objects, attending meetings and presentations and undertaking training and education.
- Wikipedia entry on Second Life
- Video – Introduction to Second Life
- Slideshow – Education Redefined in a MUVE: Education in Second Life
- Librariansmatter – Use of Second Life in Education wiki
New Statistics – 26 June 2007
- Total residents (=unique avatars) – 7 609 806
- Logged in last 60 days: 1 759 370
- Online at any one time : around 30 000
- Resident figures are contentious.
- Slightly more men than women
- Average age is in 30s or older
- Not the only online virtual world – eg. ( There, ActiveWorlds or for kids, Club Penguin)
Check out the full list of online virtual worlds with examples: Virtual Worlds Resources – Jo Kay and Sean FitzGerald
Places to go
http://www.waxlyrical.net/blog/?p=255 – Lists some places to go in Second Life
- JoKay & Sean Fitz have everything you need on this page of their SL wiki.
- System Requirements
- More Guides & Downloads
- StyleDisorder – list of some of the best “designer” Freebies and cheap Clothing in SL!
- sledpicatune – Second Life Education Group
- jokay – actively exploring Second Life in education
- Aussie Second Life news source
- New World Notes
- Second Life Best Practices in Education
- jokay and sean fitz explore Second Life in education – a Wiki worth visiting, loads of educational resources, SL Guides, newbie tips and check out the uses in education list. While you’re there, have a look at Jo & Seans calendar of upcoming educational events they are running in SL.
- Beginners Guide to Second Life by v3image
- Designing your Second Life by Rebecca Tapley
- The Unofficial Tourists’ Guide to Second Life by Paul Carr and Graham Pond
- Second Life(R): A Guide to Your Virtual World by Brian A. White
- How to Do Everything with Second Life® by Richard Mansfield
- Second Life: The Official Guide by Michael Rymaszewski, Wagner James Au, Mark Wallace, and Catherine Winters
Click here to look at any blog posts I have made about Second Life, or teaching and learning in Virtual Worlds.
Leave a Reply